Re: Rear Lifting Eye (TR6)

To: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Lifting Eye (TR6)
From: richtr <richtr@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 07:43:04 -0800
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brian Ricker wrote:

> Had a rather scary experience this afternoon. I was getting ready to put
> the engine back in my TR6 and had it up in the air and was getting ready
> to roll the car under it when the rear lifting eye sheared off flush
> with the block deck. The engine was then hanging by one chain with the
> transmission pointed at the ground. Not two minutes before I was double
> checking the bellhousing bolts on the bottom of the engine/tranny. The
> only thing I can figure is that the eye had been weakened from bending
> at that point and subsequently failed (It was bent in towards the
> block). Neither the big 3 nor Rimmers shows this part as still available
> (I don't need it other than for completeness) so I wonder if this is a
> known weak point?

Brian;
I rebuild about 6 to 8 TR6 engines a year and I had the same thing happen
on one. I was lucky in that the engine was about two inches from setting
on the floor. I was lowering it at the time. The rear hook was bent in
and broke at the block. I now check these before using them and if bent I
replace them with one I made from thicker material. They get bent when
lifting the engine out with two chains making a sling. I use a load
leveler and the chains go straight down to the hooks.
Any body planning on removing an engine should pay attention to the
hooks.

Dean Tetterton
58 TR3A
60 TR3A