Rear Lifting Eye (TR6)

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Lifting Eye (TR6)
From: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 17:06:33 -0600
Had a rather scary experience this afternoon. I was getting ready to put
the engine back in my TR6 and had it up in the air and was getting ready
to roll the car under it when the rear lifting eye sheared off flush
with the block deck. The engine was then hanging by one chain with the
transmission pointed at the ground. Not two minutes before I was double
checking the bellhousing bolts on the bottom of the engine/tranny. The
only thing I can figure is that the eye had been weakened from bending
at that point and subsequently failed (It was bent in towards the
block). Neither the big 3 nor Rimmers shows this part as still available
(I don't need it other than for completeness) so I wonder if this is a
known weak point?