Re: TR3-TR4 starter crank handles

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR3-TR4 starter crank handles
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:14:36 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> My experience with the starter crank was that, as long as the car is
> running reasonably well (in other words, it starts easily without undue
> cranking required), the crank should work fairly easily. It's a bit tough
> to turn the engine over - overcoming compression, ya know - but it does
> work. Gotta watch out for the kick-back though...could damage body parts
> if not careful (YOUR'S, not the car's!). Brad, I believe the cranks they
> put on the '4s were nothing but leftover '3 parts. Should be one and the
> same.

Michael,

The reason I asked was because I have one crank handle that I was told
would work on my TR4 and when I inserted it through the radiator the
lobes on the shaft lined up with the radiator and the guideon the bumper.
But the one that is currently for sale on ebay has the lobes in what appear
to be different spots.  I couldn't find a part number in the TR3 spare parts
catalogue to compare agains the one for the TR4.  So I'm not 100%
convinced that they are the same.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 3/9/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108