Re: Another Master Cylinder Query

To: Alan Williamson SBSC <awillmsn@sbsc.siemens.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Another Master Cylinder Query
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:41:46 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Alan Williamson           SBSC wrote:

> I am helping a friend do some work on his TR4 and have just removed the two
> master cylinders which both had emptied at some time in the past.  The
> clutch M/C still moves well so I think a repair kit should do the trick
> there. But the Brake M/C has seized solid. The plunger will not move at any
> price. My question is " Is it worth trying to get the piston out and seeing
> if a repair kit would work, or if the piston is seized to the cylinder does
> that mean that the bore will be too pitted / damaged anyway and I should
> just suggest he gets a replacement M/C??"

When I got my TR4 the clutch master had emptied its guts long ago.  But
the brake master was still full, and had enough muscle to blow apart a
(rusty) brake line !!

Now that all is said and done, the clutch master (and slave) that I
rebuilt are working better than the brake master (that I didn't rebuild)

I suggest that you try to get the master cylinder apart and see if it's
pitted.  If the bore is clean, fly at it.  However, do NOT go and drive
around without torture-testing your braking system, preferably somewhere
safe!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm