Re: gap or feeler gauge?

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: gap or feeler gauge?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:19:11 -0800
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> Recently there was a post about a specialized feeler gauge which unlike the
> "regular" kind, has blades which are "stepped". In other words, each blade
> has three thicknesses, the one which it is intended to measure, one in the
> next thicker size and one in the next thinner size. The idea being that if
> you can insert the blade only to the middle thickness you have set the
> correct gap.
>
> Does anyone know the name if this gauge? I forgot it and when I tried to get
> one locally they didn't really know what I was talking about (neither did I
> actually).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO

Peter, I've heard these called "Go/No-go" feeler gauges. There may be a
more "technical" name for them. Check a machinist's supply. We used this
sort of thing a lot back when I worked in a machine shop. It was a
pretty interesting learning experience! Lots of government work:
military aircraft & nuclear sub parts. Extremely small tolerance stuff
with interesting alloys. I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to shoot
you! ;-)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L (nuclear powered, NOT)