Re: Wiper motor is worse!

To: Jaime Schlorff <britcars@powerbritish.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiper motor is worse!
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:03:52 -0500
Message text written by Jaime Schlorff
>Perhaps you've got a single speed motor wired to a two speed switch
and are consequently shorting out half the armature so that only the one side
getting proper polarity is actually turning the motor resulting in weak wipers.<

It has a couple of wires bundled coming out of the case.  I did not disconnect
any wires as I was just trying to clean off the brushes.  Now what the wiring is
REALLY doing, I don't know.  I can try to measure the resistance with the
switch in each position.....

However, the motor did turn 2 speeds: anemic and more anemic.  Now is has
one: stopped.

I do not know the electical construction of the motor, but
I guess that the two brushes run separate windings and the slow speed only has
one brush activated and high speed had both active?

To analyze this further, I need to figure out where those electrons are
supposed to be
going!  It looked like the brushed were independently conducting because when I
lifted one off the commutator, the other one still wanted to try to make
sparks...

Whatever else, I did not mess with the wiring yet.

-Tony