Re: More or less likely to knock?

To: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: More or less likely to knock?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:04:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Alan Myers wrote:

> Ok. I am not an engineer. Ergo, when these discussions get into
> exponentials and laminar flows, this red haze starts to descend on my
> vision.

I'm not an engineer either, but I might become one if I'm not careful!

> Everything else being equal, is a carburated car more or less likely to
> knock (or ping) as a factor of octane at high altitude, as opposed to
> sea level? Or, is this a neutral consideration, with leanness and
> richness of the mixture being the primary (or only) variable with
> altitude due to the difference in air density?

Way back in high school mechanics, we had a short lecture on gasoline &
the stuff they put in it.

Any car is less likely to know at high altitudes once it's been there for
a while.  High-altitude gas is different than sea-level gas (I think!!);
similarly, cold-weather gas is different than summer gas.

So if you fill your tank in colorado, then drive to the coast, your car
may not run so well when it gets there.  Ditto for the reverse.

This is just a theory based on somewhat hazy memories of high school.
Remember, big brother is watching us ;-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm
There are drugs in the gasoline...