More or less likely to knock?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More or less likely to knock?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:10:52 -0800
Listerati,

Ok. I am not an engineer. Ergo, when these discussions get into
exponentials and laminar flows, this red haze starts to descend on my
vision.

So I have a PDQ (probably dumb question) regarding altitude above sea
level, please be kind and only mildly scientific in any responses.

Everything else being equal, is a carburated car more or less likely to
knock (or ping) as a factor of octane at high altitude, as opposed to
sea level? Or, is this a neutral consideration, with leanness and
richness of the mixture being the primary (or only) variable with
altitude due to the difference in air density?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif. (sea level + 50 ft)
formerly of Colorado (sea level + 6000 ft)
'62 TR4 CT17602L

--
MZ