Re: Loose rubber (leather?) rim of steering wheel

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Loose rubber (leather?) rim of steering wheel
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:15:51 +1100
At 12:30 PM +1100 18/3/99, Tony Rhodes wrote:
>I have a TR6 steering wheel on my TR4A.  The wheel has a leather or
>imitation leather covering on the rim.  Some of the covering has come loose
>in the 9:30 position to the 12:00 position.
>
>Has anyone had any luck re-sticking these things?  WHat should I use?
>How do I do it?  My usual guru has never had any luck, so my hopes
>are fading.  I don't want to spring for a Motolita.
>
>Anybody have a Les Leston wheel they would sell me?

Tony

This is not an uncommon problem (meaning that I have got it too - between 9
and 3 where it is gripped most of the time).  It is a rubber cover which
appears to have been moulded around the frame of the wheel during
manufacture.  A repair would require the rubber to be cut/slit and then
glued back into place.  It may end up worse than it currently is.

It is not a high priority for me, but I have considered looking for someone
who could remove the rubber and rebuild the wheel in leather.  It would
also be an opportunity to increase the thickness of the rim for better
grip.  Perhaps it has already been done by somebody on the list and they
could share their experience.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U