Re: Today's Youth &TR's

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Today's Youth &TR's
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:14:36 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Kai Radicke wrote:

> I drove my TR6 to school today, top down of course, and I can't tell you how
> many comments I got today in school...
> Most of the comments were of a "kind" nature, lying in the spectrum between
> "it is so tiny" to "it is so loud" or "what was that cute car you were
> driving?"  And then I had to deal with the teasing from the GreaseMonkey
> crowd... which was ignored in standard fashion.
> I do agree that there isn't much interest in the High School / College crowd
> with these automobiles.  They would rather drive their pimped-out Hondas
> with earthquake inducing stereo systems....

Wow, the more things change, the more they stay the same....

In my high school in the late 1960s, it was about the same. I had a
Herald, a couple of friends had MG-TDs (yeah, they weren't THAT expensive
again back then), and there were a couple TRs and MGBs. Pretty much
everyone else at the time either had what dad/mom bought for or gave to
them, or else it was the '55-6-7 Chevy, early Mustang, etc. kind of
crowd. (There was always someone rich enough to have, say, a brand new
Boss 302 Mustang, but that was the exception.)

Carwise, these crowds pretty much stayed to themselves. Like now, apparently!

--Andy