Re: European Vacation

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: European Vacation
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:28:08 +0000
Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver wrote:

> Try Clangollin! For bonus points refer to Wales as 'Cumree' (Cymru).

Can't argue with those pronunciations much, but you must foam at the
mouth as you say them.

> BUT beware the road signs they say "Croeso y Gymru" (krowayzo ee
> Gumree).

I don't want to be too pedantic, but that's actually "Croeso i Gymru".
In Welsh, "i" (ee) means "to", "Croeso i Gymru" meaning "Welcome to
Wales". "Y" (err) is a Welsh word for "the", as is "yr" (urr).

Johnny's right about the mutations though - Welsh is an absolute pig of
a language to learn as an outsider - there are 3 basic mutations, each
one subject to gender (He-she-it), so the word you've found in the
phrasebook could begin with one of 9 letters other than the one you're
looking for!!!

Don't expect to see many Triumphs in North Wales though (except Johnny's
Viterald!) - we saw 2 in a week of touring last October, and only one of
them waved back!
        Regards
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup