Wiper Motor/Steering Column

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper Motor/Steering Column
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 10:57:07 EST
Two questions:

I have about finished sandblasting the engine compartment and want to get the
area around and under the wiper motor clean and painted. Sometime ago, I
removed a wiper motor from my parts TR-4 for a trade but this time all I want
to do is move this one (65 TR-4A) out of the way just enough to get in under
and behind it. I've already removed the three bolts holding the support
bracket and it occurs to me, if I am remembering my previous excursion into
the wiper innards, that I can just remove the  three(?) screws thatn hold the
mechanism cover on and then pull up the cable rack. Does that sound
reasonable? Or the most effective way to do what I want to do? Any better
ideas?
The second question involves the steering column. It had been disconnected to
raise the tub off the frame. It is back together now but I am concerned about
the bracket/clamp near the top. You know the u-shaped, two-piece clamp held
together around the column by two bolts that run down and into a rectangular
piece below. My problem is that the angle of the holes in the bottom piece are
not allowing for a snug fit (if that's what the problem is). The bolts don't
seem to want to go in straight enough to make a snug fit with the most
disturbing result that when the wheel is turned to its limits, the wheels stop
turning at the ends but the wheel itself continues. Is there some trick to
getting this clamp to seat correctly and tightly? Should I force the bolts in?
They feel like they're going to strip if I do that.