Extra Steering Column Part

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Extra Steering Column Part
From: Art & Karen Graves <denseboy@bga.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:18:08 -0800
I am in the process of installing the steering column in my 1976 TR6. I removed
it in
order to install an overdrive switch and to replace the nylon bushings and felt
pads.
But, I have to admit, I’ve always wanted to take it apart - I don’t know why.

Removal and disassembly went fairly well and the installation is progressing.
However, I
seem to have an “extra” part. It is a “C” shaped piece of iron about one inch
wide and
an eighth of an inch thick. It can fit over the steering column if you start at
either
end - it is definitely not semi-circular. This part is not shown in any of my
repair
manuals or in the vendor parts catalogues. TRF technical support was not
familiar with
it. If I had to guess, I would put it under or near the front (firewall) seal
retainer.
I don’t think it will be a problem if I leave it off, I just hate having extra
parts.

Any insight will be appreciated!

Art Graves
1976 TR6