Re: TR4 Steering Column

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Steering Column
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:58:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 Ct54531@aol.com wrote:

> The second question involves the steering column. It had been disconnected to
> raise the tub off the frame. It is back together now but I am concerned about
> the bracket/clamp near the top. You know the u-shaped, two-piece clamp held
> together around the column by two bolts that run down and into a rectangular
> piece below. My problem is that the angle of the holes in the bottom piece are
> not allowing for a snug fit (if that's what the problem is). The bolts don't
> seem to want to go in straight enough to make a snug fit with the most
> disturbing result that when the wheel is turned to its limits, the wheels stop
> turning at the ends but the wheel itself continues. Is there some trick to
> getting this clamp to seat correctly and tightly? Should I force the bolts in?
> They feel like they're going to strip if I do that.

I'm assuming this U-clamp you speak of is the one found under the hood
(bonnet), just upstream of the rubber U-joint?  If so...

First, take the whole thing apart and make sure that the threaded holes in
the flat piece aren't cross-threaded.  If they are then you'll either have
to clean them out with a tap or replace the square piece.

There is an allen-head set screw in the middle of the flat piece.  THIS is
what really holds everything tight.  It is done up last.  It has a jam nut
on it to keep it tight.

There is a flat spot on both parts of the sliding steering column shaft.
They have to be lined up so that you have a "D" shaped shaft.  Then the
flat part of the U-clamp lines up with the flat spot on the shaft.  Fasten
the clamp on (may help to loosen the allen-head-set-screw first), then
tighten the set screw to hold the whole works in place.

The final result is a *very* tight clamp that shouldn't slip.  When I
first got my TR4 this clamp was a little loose, and after hosing the
engine bay down with all the oily potions I could find, ended up getting
so bad that I could pull the steering column out 1" just by giving it a
good yank.

By the sounds of it, there's a clamp or two in your column that just
aren't done up yet- the steering wheel should stop when the wheels reach
the end of their steering travel.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm