Re: prop shaft

To: emmett <budabud@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: prop shaft
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:35:20 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, emmett wrote:

> I'm trying to remove the prop shaft from a 63 Spitfire. I've removed the
> flange bolts from both ends of the shaft. The shaft turns independently of
> the gear box and differential but will not slip out of either end. What's
> holding it in and how do I get it out?

What is holding it in is a "flange" on each end. To get it out:

1. if it's the sliding-spline type of prop shaft, you should be able to
push on end forward from the back or back from the front until it drops free.
2. if it's a solid shaft, the easiest thing to do is to carefully lever
the gearbox forward with a large screwdriver (or whatever) until the
shaft drops free.

It only takes perhaps 1/4" maximum of movement to clear the flange.

--Andy