Re: Extra Steering Column Part

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Extra Steering Column Part
From: Art & Karen Graves <denseboy@bga.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:30:09 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom Di Iulio wrote:

> i have a piece that somewhat matches your description and i believe it holds
>the column in
> place against the engine-side of the firewall. it attaches utilizing a flat
>piece of iron on
> the opposite side of the shaft. when i removed this piece recently, my column
>was able to
> slide toward the car's interior. hope this helps......Tom
>
> Art & Karen Graves wrote:
>
> > I am in the process of installing the steering column in my 1976 TR6. I
>removed it in
> > order to install an overdrive switch and to replace the nylon bushings and
>felt pads.
> > But, I have to admit, I’ve always wanted to take it apart - I don’t know
>why.
> >
> > Removal and disassembly went fairly well and the installation is
>progressing. However, I
> > seem to have an “extra” part. It is a “C” shaped piece of iron about one
>inch wide and
> > an eighth of an inch thick. It can fit over the steering column if you
>start at either
> > end - it is definitely not semi-circular. This part is not shown in any of
>my repair
> > manuals or in the vendor parts catalogues. TRF technical support was not
>familiar with
> > it. If I had to guess, I would put it under or near the front (firewall)
>seal retainer.
> > I don’t think it will be a problem if I leave it off, I just hate having
>extra parts.
> >
> > Any insight will be appreciated!
> >
> > Art Graves
> > 1976 TR6
> > Austin, Texas

Tom,

Thanks for your input. However the piece I am referring to fits over the outer,
aluminum
steering column towards the front and just to the rear of the shiney aluminum
cap and
nylon washer. After disassembly, I found it on the car floor. I'm working on it
again
this afternoon, and it looks like it supports the outer, aluminum steering
column on the
hole in the firewall. The two pieces of foam padding and the clamp hide it from
view.

I know the part you are referring to: I think the manual calls it a pinch bolt
and it
secures the upper inner steering column to the upper outer steering column and
is
towards the rear of the flexible coupling.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Art Graves
1976 TR6
Austin, Texas