Re: Continuing Saga of Brake Rebuild Job on '78 Spitfire

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Continuing Saga of Brake Rebuild Job on '78 Spitfire
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:54:43 -0500
Michael L. Coop wrote:

> Listers - I'm really depending upon your expertise to help me solve my brake
> problem before I totally lose my mind.  Over the years, I've done dozens of
> brake jobs, but you wouldn't believe me judging by the poor results I've
> produced on this one.
>
> I've not been able to get pressure in the brake system since installing the
> following parts:
>
> New front calipers; New Rear Cylinders; Rebuilt Master (from a reputable
> firm); New Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hoses.   I'm using conventional
> DOT4 fluid.
>
> The only unusual thing about my brake system is that I've removed the
> shuttle from the PDWA because the shuttle assembly and sleeves were not
> rebuildable.  (And I don't want to spend $200 for a new PDWA.)
>
> I have bled enough fluid through the system to completely fill two Spitfire
> brake systems and can not get more than a little bit of pressure.   The
> master cylinder has been properly bench bled.
>
> At first, I thought I had received a bad rebuilt master cylinder.   However,
> the vendor was kind enough to send me another one.   Same results.   They
> then sent me a third one.  Same results.
>
> Its hard for me to believe that I would get three bad rebuilt master
> cylinders from a reputable firm.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mike Coop
> Michael Coop Agency, Inc.

Mike,

You need to fit the shuttle in the PDWA.  Without it, you are creating a loop
for
fluid to flow from one side of the master to the other.  Either replace the
shuttle or
drill, tap and fit a plug into the center of the PDWA.  That will solve your
problem.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars