Overdrive woes

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive woes
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:01:45 -0500
A friend of mine decided to swap out his transmission for one with
overdrive.  The transmission that was in the car was perfect!  but it
didn't
have overdrive.  The overdrive transmission came out of a parts car,
condition
unknown.  After all the trouble to put the trans in we found out the
overdrive
part didn't work.  So back out it comes.  dismantling reveals that the
brake
clutch facing had come off of the clutch disk.  AND the one way clutch was
in
backwards.  What a mess.  Clutch material all over.

My theory is that the one way clutch was installed backwards and an attempt
was made to drive it that way.  This is equivilent to operating a properly
assembled transmission in reverse-overdrive.  The resulting clash of the
one way clutch and the overdrive braking clutch caused one of them to give
way.  In this case the overdrive clutch lost.

Fortunately, the guy who sold him the parts car is giving him another OD
unit and between the two there should be enough parts to put one together.
Also, I am suprised that there wasn't more damage than there was.  The one
way clutch looks totally unharmed.

I guess the moral of the story is to test as many components on a parts car

before dissassembly.  I guess the other moral of the story is that if your
overdrive is working, DON'T MESS WITH IT.

Dave

P.S.  The answers are: Yes and No.  The questions are: can the one way
clutch be installed backwards?  and will the transmission work anyway?