Re: Overdrive woes

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive woes
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:01:56 -0500
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> [...]

Peter, after a rebuild, we run transmissions and overdrives on a break-in cycle
before
we reinstall them.  I think this gives the units a longer life, and it allows
us to
check for any leaking seals and correct them before the customer gets his car
back.

The device is rather simple.  It is an engine stand that I use toward the end
of the
trans. reassembly.  The bell housing mounts to the stand in the normal manner
using
the arms on the head of the stand.  Below the upright, we have another
horizontal beam
mounted so it is free to pivot up and down.  On the loose end is a bracket that
holds
a 1/2hp electric motor such that it has some telescopic ability to account for
different transmissions.  We then add a pulley to the transmission's rear
flange and
loop a belt between the motor and the transmission pulley.  A counterweight
acts to
tension the belt.  Be sure to set up your motor to run the 'box in the proper
direction.  On a fresh transmission we run it for 8 hours in each gear for a
total of
40 hours run time, starting with neutral and then going to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and
1st is
done last since 1st puts the hardest load on the input bearing.   After that,
we drain
the oil and refill and it is ready for installation.  The overdrive can easily
be
checked throughout the breaking by connecting a battery and jumper wires on the
solenoid and top cover switches.

My opinion is that running it like this with no drivetrain load allows the
bearings to
bed in better and everything just seems to last longer than just shocking it
into
service right away.

If you'd like, I can scan a photo of the stand tonight and send it to you.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars