Re: sports car factory tours

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sports car factory tours
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@oit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:06:40 -0800 (PST)

>Hello Peter,
>
>I checked this and found out that Porsche factory tours are possible. They
>start
>on April 7 th and you have to book for a tour in advance at: +49 711 911
>5384.
>There is also a Porsche museum which you can visit any time between 9.00 and
>5.00.

  Definitely do the factory tour - the museum is small and has only about
20 cars with little description - not really worth a visit unless you are a
huge Porsche fan.  There's also a small gift shop.

>Anyone visiting Stuttgart shouldnt forget to see the Daimler-Benz museum (now
>probably called Daimler-Chrysler museum)  where you can see a lot of famous
>racing and sports cars. Factory tours are also possible in Stuttgart
>(engines)
>and in Sindelfingen near Stuttgart (final assembly of limousines and SLs).

  Not to be missed - this is one of the best museums i've ever seen (Fodors
includes it in its list of the top 20 must see museums [not just car
museums] in Germany).  Aside from some understandable ommisions re the
Hitler period, very complete, with a huge collection of cars and a nice
gift shop that has some great MB posters from all periods.  Two greasy
thumbs up!

Mark Clark
Klamath Falls, Oregon

1963 Triumph TR-4 "The Tiggermobile"