TR4A IRS pinion seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A IRS pinion seal
From: jluke@unm.edu (James Luke)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:11:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi all

I have the axles and driveshaft out of my TR4A for hub rebuilding
and new u-joints, and new trailing arm bushings, and shock links,
and I might as well clean and paint everything ...

I was thinking about replacing the leaky pinion seal on the differential.
the Haynes manual says that removing the pinion shaft and seal is
the last thing after removing all the guts of the diff.  I dont have
the tools, experience, or desire to go that far, so I wonder if it
is possible to replace the seal without dismantling the whole diff
and without special tools?

Thanks,
Jim
66 TR4A (older than me)