TR6 Poor 0 to 60 accelleration

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Poor 0 to 60 accelleration
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:48:42 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I'm depressed. I've owned several US TR6's for almost 20 years (all stock)
and have always known they are slow, but I love them anyway because they are
so fun to drive. But, I read recently in Car & Driver (I think) the 0 to 60
time on a new Ford Ranger pickup is 8.8 seconds. Now, I face being humbled
at a stop light by a small pickup truck? I seem to remember reading in one
of my Triumph books (Graham Robson, I think) that the TR8 did 0 to 60 in 8.8
seconds (same as a new Ford Ranger) and the petrol injected 150 hp TR6 did 0
to 60 in 8.2 seconds (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering
wrong). I have never had the opportunity to accurately time my TR6 on a 0 to
60 run, but I have seen 0 to 60 times published for the stock US TR6
anywhere between 10.5 seconds to 11.5 seconds (Graham Robson's Triumph TR's,
Road&Track on Triumph, The TR6 & TR250 Companion by Rossi and Clarke, etc).
I guess its time to at least mill the head down and put in a little more
aggressive cam or pretty soon, Geos are going to start blasting me off the
road! (Now, please don't tell me that a Geo's 0 to 60 time is faster than a
stock TR6 or I'll be even more depressed!)  ;-) ;-)
Regards, Greg Hutmacher