RE: Re: Of Mice and

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re: Of Mice and
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:30:15 -0500
Another mouse tale:

Last year I was driving my Spit in to work, top down as it was a
beautiful, warm morning.  While stopped at a 4-way stop intersection
on the rural road about two miles from home I caught sight of something
moving from behind me toward the front of the car on my right.  When I
quickly turned to get a better look I saw a mouse tightrope-walking
along the top of the passenger side door.  He made it to the windscreen,
hopped onto the hood, and began scurrying back and forth across the
base of the glass.  I was nonplussed and missed my turn to go.  One
guy in a pickup was looking over at me (I guess to see if I was asleep)
and I could see his eyes get big as he spotted my little friend running
back and forth.  I backed up onto the grass, and the mouse walked back
onto the passenger door and jumped to the ground.  I saw him emerge from
under my side and scramble across the road to the ditch on the other
side.  Pretty funny I thought.

On my way home that evening, after a brief thunderstorm, I hit a little
puddle and the car died.  When I managed to get off the road and open
the hood, I found a bright pink nest (fiberglass insulation from a roll
in the garage) and a bunch of acorns behind the clutch master cylinder.
The little bugger had taken up residence over a three day period since
my last drive.  Not only that, but he had nibbled through the insulation
from the electronic ignition and THAT was the reason I was stranded by
the road!  Now I routinely leave the hood up in the garage.

Tim Gaines
1974 TR6
1980 Spitfire