RE: tr6 seat diaphragms

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr6 seat diaphragms
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:58:48 -0700
This is a follow-up to the earlier post I made (included below) regarding my
recent experience with seat diaphragms in my TR6. Hopefully it will be of
interest to others pondering replacing these items.

Note: this is not intended as a slam against TRF or an endorsement of Moss.
It is merely a "field test" based on a very limited sample set. YMMV.

As the post below states, I got two diaphragms from TRF and upon installing
one of them, it split. I subsequently found out that diaphragms are one if
the items TRF has made to their specs (in Taiwan). Further, Moss (and others
I'm sure) sell diaphragms made in England. I ordered and received two such
diaphragms from my local Moss distributor. There definitely is a difference
in the two products.

The main differences are the thickness, size and elasticity of the two
products. The TRF one is somewhat thicker and has a larger area (when not
installed). It is also much less elastic. The Moss one is slightly thinner,
quite a bit smaller and much more elastic. The support seems to be about the
same with both. The thing I didn't like about the TRF one was the
"stiffness" compared to the Moss one. It almost seems as if the TRF ones are
made of a lower grade (elastically speaking) of rubber/plastic. The Moss
ones fell more supple and stretchy. I don't think the thickness is the only
reason for this -- I think the material also plays a part.

In keeping with the originality and accuracy claims made by TRF, their
diaphragms have the extra holes for the seat switch fitted to later cars.
The Moss ones have no such provision. No sweat for me but the real purists
might want to take note.

In all fairness to TRF, they were very gracious when I called about my split
diaphragm and said no problem just return it. They also stated they sell
about 1500 per year and have very few problems. Maybe I just got a bad
example. I never tried installing the second one I received from them to see
if too would split.

PS. I found it better to reuse the original hooks rather than the new ones
supplied. They have an additional bend which makes installation a little
easier cuz the rubber does not have to stretch quite as far (almost 1/4"
less).

PS2. I'm not (personally) looking for testimonials of TRF diaphragm success
stories (although others may want to hear them). I'm just passing on my own
experience, that's all. And I have no interest in Moss or TRF other than
being a customer of both and happy they supply parts for these cars.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO