RE: BRG Mix Formula

To: "INTERNET:JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com" <JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BRG Mix Formula
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:09:21 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
>He told me this colour was only used on 64 & 65 TR4as.

I had thought that Conifer was used for many years, but maybe they used
the same paint NUMBER with a different paint MIX attached to the number.
It seems that GM does this a lot!
Same code, different year = COMPLETELY different paint.

>It would be nice to be able to see this one and yours compared; I suppose
>either one would be fine but in my case my interior is red, so I have to be
>careful. I know that at first the combination sounds awful but it grows on you
>- the slight amount of blue in the conifer makes it OK.

The faint blue cast to the confier is what makes it for me.  I can see that
the green plus a deep red would be really nice.

>BTW, I don't see any blue in your formula. It must be the black that does it.

The blue gets in it via the "830J Fast Green" which will at least have blue
and yellow in it.  I guess they start with a base color that is closest to the
color then tint from there.  Most of that formula is the "B/C Balancer"  don't
know what color that is....

>I know nothing about painting a car, except that a roller must be better than
>brush. Do you know whether the two-pack is the current technology that all
>sensible people are using? I've heard of urethane which sounds like it's
>probably a good idea, as it sounds as though it ends up quite hard, and I
>guess
>they aren't using the old-style paints anymore due to environmental/health
>concerns.

I have painted enamel in my garage years ago and got sufficient results.  This
base/clear 2-pack paint is AFAIK the cutting edge of paint technology.  It
gives a deep luster to the color and small scratches are easily treated.
Because of the nasty vapors given off due to the catalyzed chemical
reaction, you will die without the proper equipment.  To get a nice job, leave
it to the pros.  You can have the Dupont 2-pack mix translated into their
Centauri
enamel paints and then do it yourself without cyanide poisoning.  But I figure
that the paint job is the one place where a professional job will be immediately
obvious to the layman just looking at the car.

BTW, I have some extra painted sheetmetal that I could snip into pieces and
mail you a sample.  Maybe you have some of your paint you could dab on
something for me!  Give me your address.

-Tony