RE: Rocker Oil Feed Line

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rocker Oil Feed Line
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:36:23 -0500
Regarding the auxilary rocker feed lines, Randall Young wrote:

>IMO, no, it's not a good idea.  Unless you are going racing, or have a
>problem like the rear cam bearing installed wrong or chronic low oil
>pressure, the factory setup provides adequate lubrication.

I would agree with that, but would add that if you've installed a set
of roller rockers that you should definitely use the auxilary feed line.
The rocker shaft (especially on TR-3's and TR-4's) wears badly otherwise.

>Adding the
>external oil line will give you problems with oil getting past the intake
>valve stems.

I would correct that to "may cause problems" - I've had no such problems
on my TR-4 with roller rockers and the extra oil feed line.

cheers,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu