Subject: RE: Where did you get braided SS brake hoses? & Continuing Saga

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:06:38 -0500
Message text written by "Michael L. Coop"

A local brake guru here in Indianapolis who specializes in rare and exotic
cars (Rolls, LBC's, Lancias etc.) suggested that I may have inadvertently
(of course!) installed the calipers on the wrong sides of the car.   I
checked it out last night and... <red face>  Bingo!

Don't feel to bad........Below is snipped from an article I wrote for the
Jag club news letter on the work I did to my Jag one year.

And at this point I noticed that the brake line that runs from the left
side to the right side was not reinstalled. I reconnected it while it would
be an easy job with the fittings easy to reach. I realized that  this would
be the most worthwhile time to finish the brake system by bleeding the air
out.. I borrowed a vacuum pump from my mechanic to make the job easier. The
left side went all right but I couldn't get the air out of the right side.
Suck, suck, suck went the pump but air bubbles just gurgled through. I took
a plastic tube fit it on the bleeder nipple and the other end into a jar of
brake fluid like the Jaguar Shop Bible says. Pump, pump, pump I pumped the
brake pedal to force the fluid and air out as I would watch the fluid level
and pour more in as it needed it and one time when I was pouring fluid in I
noticed fluid all over the side of the fender. Seams like I forgot to
tighten a fitting on the distribution valve under the master cylinder.
Then a few days later I was standing at the back door watching one of the
mechanics from next door half in and half out of a vehicle pumping the
brakes and floods of liquid were pouring out under the car. When he saw it,
he turned to me and shrugged and said oops. So I don't feel to bad about my
goof up. Neither should you. Goofups happen, even putting the disk brake
pads in backwards so the steel plate rubs the disk = poor braking and
grindy noise.