RE: Weird e-mail? non-LBC

To: "'Alan Myers'" <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: RE: Weird e-mail? non-LBC
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:44:37 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Alan :

I've never seen the message, but I'm pretty sure I know the problem.  The
list server has been configured to accept only the standard 64 character
ASCII character set.  This ensures maximum portability among users of
different computer systems (and is pretty common on USENET and such).  So,
any attempt at sending binary, HTML, MIME, or even just funny characters
(like the British pounds sterling symbol) through the list server results
in a (usually inaccurate) translation to the 64 character set.

I've never used Communicator 4.01, but there should be a selection
somewhere to indicate that the recipient can accept only plain text.  All
automatic translations (to MIME, etc.) should be disabled, and best is
probably the 'warn me before sending' selection, if you have it.

If you can't find it, let me know & I'll try to find a copy of 4.01 so I
can give you more specifics.

I also note some funny characters after your signature, so it's possible
your signature file is the culprit.  Try removing the Ctrl-Z at the end.

I posted this to the list, as it's not an uncommon problem.

Randall