Coil Q again (warning, non-LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil Q again (warning, non-LBC)
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:46:47 -0500
Cc: mister_toad@email.msn.com
>From: "Mark Gendron" <>
>As I followed this thread, I began to envision a group of Lucas engineers
>sitting in a pub, each  arguing a radically different understanding of the
>fundamental theory behind their ignition systems. Hmm. . .

Reminds me of the old fable about a group of blind men trying to describe an
elephant.  Each was feeling a different part of the animal and thus describing a
different creature (I feel sorry for the one by the tail!). At any rate, it has
been 20 years since I worked with LCR circuits, and I probably missed some
techincal points (for which I SHOULD be corrected), but my statement still
stands:  The capacitor in your ignition system is designed primarily to provide
a hot spark. Improving the life of the points is definitely important, but is
"icing on the cake".  It's amazing how aggressive some people get when they feel
a point is missed, kinda like cyber road rage.  Anyway, ask me anything about
PID loop tuning or control systems.....I'm ready!
Richard