TR3 Fuel Gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Fuel Gauge
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:02:12 -0500
Cc: miket@urgrgcc.edu
>From: "Michael Thompson" <>
>Hi All,
>Just wanting to know if there is something to installing a fuel gauge in the
>TR3.
>I put mine in and it wants to read full or a little more on 1/2 to 1/4 tank.
>Polarity? grounding?

Sounds like you've got the body of the gauge grounded to the chassis ok, it's
very important to get a good ground here... don't trust just the bracket to do
the job.  So, you can loosen the two coils inside the gauge and slide them in or
out to "fine tune" the gauge and set the span and zero. I guess you'll have to
first drain the fuel then fill it do do both sides.  You can get to the two
slotted screws that hold the coils behind the gauge, don't have to open it.   Be
careful here, the wires inside the gauge are very fragile.  There is also a
shunt resistor in the circuit inside the gauge that may have opened, I can't
remember if reading goes up or down when it opens. Listers??
richard