Re: Another Question about buying a TR6

To: Jay Snavely <jays@paonline.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another Question about buying a TR6
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 11:32:03 +1000
At 11:43 PM +1000 1/5/99, Jay Snavely wrote:
>Thanks to all the response I got about my questions about buying a TR.
>There is a solid TR6 I am thinking about, but it is a 74 with the rubber
>bumper over riders.  I have always been turned off by them.  Can they
>simply be removed, or will it be obvious they are missing from the bumper?
>I don't remember seeing a 74 or newer that had them removed.  Thanks.
>
>Jay future TR owner

Jay

It depends on what 1974 model it is.  I have removed the overriders from my
1974.5, so I can speak with some authority about that model, but the rest
of my comments are based on information that I have been told.

The 1974 simply had overriders added.  The front lights remained on the
body above the bumper.  When you remove the front overriders (relatively
easy), you will find two holes of about 5/16 inch diameter.  These can be
covered by black plastic caps (I can send you some if you cannot find them
locally).  When you remove the rear overriders (much harder - requires the
whole bumper to be removed), you will find notches for the overriders in
the rear bumper.

There were major changes from 1974.5 onwards, but watch out for hybrids
around the model change (CF25000).  These cars had rubber overriders, but
they also had raised, reinforced and extended bumpers.  They can be
identified by the front lights being mounted under the bumper and a Triumph
badge underneath the rear bumper instead of the body.

The same comments apply to the front bumper as for the 1974 model, however
it is possible to mount driving lights on the top of the bumper using one
of the holes on each side so that all the holes are concealed.  You would
need to shop around to find suitable lights.  Apart from their appearance,
they must have suitable diameter mounting bolts for the hole in the bumper
(many are too large).  You would then need to buy longer bolts to go
through the bumper, nylock nuts and washers.  (You could possibly do
something similar to a 1974 by mounting the lights under the bumper, but
the holes would still be visible).

The rear bumper has no problems with notches, but it does require some
spacers to replace the overriders (which fit between the body and the
bumper - which is why the bumper has to be removed).  This may aslo be
required with the 1974 if the overriders are the same.  I found that about
6 to 8 mm was necessary and I used some oversize (50 mm) diameter washers -
as I recall, three washers gave me about 7 mm spacing.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U