Re: TR4 Carpet Choices - Final Update

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Carpet Choices - Final Update
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 07:32:15 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
At 12:32 PM 5/2/99 -0400, Brian Sanborn wrote:

>Anybody else used the Moss loop kit?

Brian,

I used the Moss loop carpet in my TR3B. I'm not at all impressed.

I know I bought a cheap carpet. But a few things about it I really don't
like. The biggest complaint is the gearbox hump, where the carpet is most
visible. As the carpet molds itself around the gearbox cover, you can
clearly see the carpet base material between the loops. Looks cheezy.

The drivers side footwell carpet is wearing quickly. The loops are
squashed, and do not come back when vacuuming. If only they could supply
the rubber mats!

On the other hand, the carpet fit well, was complete and accurately cut.
The little rubber pad you mention by the headlight dip switch is there.

A good tip to those installing this carpet set. I used 3M trim adhesive to
glue the pieces that need to be glued. This glue is quite strong. If
applied as the can says, to BOTH surfaces, the bond is so strong the carpet
loops pull through the backing material when you need to remove the carpet.
Spray the adhesive to the carpet only, let it tack out, then apply the
carpet. It will hold just fine, and maybe the carpet will not self-destruct
when you try to remove it.

For me, I'll never buy another loop carpet set. The wool carpets look and
wear much better. I think the wool is worth the added expense. YMMV
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 Stag MkI       Getting Sorted Out
 TR3B           Driver
 TR250 X 3      The BIG Project - Will Be Worth the Wait
 Homepage       http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/