Re: TVR info sought

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: TVR info sought
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 21:10:11 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

"Philip E. Barnes" wrote:

> Car lust du jour. I've toyed with the notion of having a TVR ever since I
> first saw one built from a kit 25 years ago. (MG engine, Austin suspension,
> etc.) Being a TR6 guy, I'd like to get a 2500M so I'd recognize the engine.
> What else on the 2500M is Triumph? Any owners care to give me the good and
> bad news about owning one of these beauties?
Hi, Philip,

Never an owner, except of a Tasmin, but I sold a 2500M on behalf of
someone a long time ago. This was fast but the gearbox was noisier than
the engine!. The M is a rewarding car but as with most TVRs, you get to
be a development engineer. They often get water leaking in and the rear
window pops out when the rubber hardens.
The chassis also rot, especially above the axle and the electrics can be
dodgy; earthing is often a problem.

Best point: they're a great drive.
Worst point: the fuel tank is less well placed than a Pinto's for a rear
end hit, especially with all the wiring nearby. I'd suggest a
towbar-like cradle in the area.

Cheers,

Dave hill