Re: Wooden Dashes

To: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Wooden Dashes
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 13:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Ian Frearson <frearji@montevallo.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Martin Secrest wrote:

> Scrub off the old veneer with a good orbital sander, taking the dash down
> to the first layer of sub-lattice.  (Incidentally,  plywood has more
> strength than a solid piece of wood of the same size.)  Lay out your veneer
> as one piece over the dash -- if a GT6/Spit, mate the perpendicular edges of
> the three pieces; this is how it will look installed.  Cut the veneer and its
> holes with an exacto knife.  Use contact cement to affix the veneer, and

I'dd add that you should use at least 3 coats of contact cement on the
veneer and the base.  I only put 2 thin coats on my veneer (over metal);
too much of it soaked in and now I have cracks & bubbles.  :-(

This may not be a problem with wood-wood contact, as I did metal-wood;
however, it's a lot easier to do a job once slowly than to do it twice.

-Malcolm ('62 TR4)
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm