RE: Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines on '76 TR6

Subject: RE: Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines on '76 TR6
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:16:44 -0700
Cunifer appears to be a copper-nickel-iron alloy (Cu = copper, Ni = nickel,
Fer = iron) that is accepted in Europe as brake line.  In the US, it's
known as Monel alloy 400.

>From the data sheet at http://www.hpalloy.com/DataSheets/400.htm :
"A Nickel-Copper alloy, resistant to sea water and steam at high
temperatures as well as to salt and caustic solutions.  Alloy 400 is a
nickel-copper alloy with excellent corrosion resistance in a wide variety
of media. The alloy is characterized by good general corrosion resistance,
good weldability and moderate to high strength. The alloy has been used in
a variety of applications. It has excellent resistance to rapidly flowing
brackish water or seawater. It is particularly resistant to hydrochloric
and hydrofluoric acids when they are de-aerated. The alloy is slightly
magnetic at room temperature. The alloy is widely used in the chemical, oil
and marine industries."

It does not appear to be US DOT approved, but that's probably just because
our DOT is 30 years out of date.  Even when I lived in a state with a
safety inspection (similar to MOT but much less rigorous), they didn't pay
any attention to replacement materials, so I doubt this is an issue.
 California has no safety inspection, and the only state regulation I've
found regarding brakes on cars just says they have to stop the car.

However, I'll bet money you can't buy Monel tubing at Home Depot ! <g>

Randall