RE: Pinion Nut Torques

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pinion Nut Torques
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:00:04 -0700
Pete :

In that case, I can't see any reason you would need new shims.  It's
possible the high mileage has caused some bearing wear, which would make
the preload too low and you might possibly have to remove a shim to meet
the spec.  There's no way for wear to require more shims.
But, if all you did was change the seal and it was OK before, I'd just put
it back together as is.

BTW all my manuals (none of 'em for a TR6) say to check the preload
_before_ installing the seal.  Otherwise the seal drag affects the
measurement.  (which is another argument that the preload is measured in
in-lb.  Seal drag would be a negligible part of 10 ft-lb !)

Randall

<snip>