RE: Pinion Nut Torques

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pinion Nut Torques
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 08:59:21 -0700
With regard to pinion nut pre-loads, it's been my experience (for what its
worth) that when shims are used to set the pinion bearing pre-load, the nut
is tightened to foot pounds. (usually some un-godly high torque setting of
90 lb ft or more) When collapsible spacers are used to set the pre-load,
then the nut is tightened much less, (no torque setting for the nut itself)
but only enough to achieve a given torque required to turn the pinion
gear/bearing assy, usually in inch pounds of torque, or a very low foot
pound (something like 5-7 foot pounds of turning force).  That's turning
the whole pinion gear/bearing assy, not turning the pinion nut itself.
Also, *usually* if the unit in question uses shims there is a castallated
nut retaining the pinion flange, and with a collapsible type spacer/preload
assemblies, the nut (and spacer) are used only once and the nut is
*usually* a nyloc type.  Not being that familiar with the big TR range I
can't say for certain, but I have worked on more than a few diff's and
again, IN MY EXPERIENCE, this generally holds true-