RE: Pinion Nut Torques

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pinion Nut Torques
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:21:27 -0700
Pete :

I double checked my Haynes manual for the TR4A IRS (which I believe is
similar to your diff), it also specifies inch-pounds for pre-load and
foot-pounds for nut torque, in at least 2 different places.

Both the Haynes and Bentley manuals say the same thing for my beam-axle
TR3, which I believe has a similar pinion configuration.

And, those units compare closely with other diffs I've worked on that used
shims.

I didn't look up the specs for my motorhome, but I would have remembered a
10 ft-lb spec, since I don't own a torque wrench that covers that.  (The
little one ends at 90 in-lb, the big one starts at 20 ft-lb.)

Randall

<snip>