Re: Silk Screened Lettering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silk Screened Lettering
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 08:43:53 -0700
Rodney Orr wrote:

>I don't know what the original lettering was, but I used the dry transfer
>Letraset 'instant lettering'.  I had no direct reference for size, so
>judging only from magazine photos, the size and font used were 12 point
>Helvetica Medium.  The order numbers on the sheet are 47-14-CLN (for the
>USA), or 1568 (for everyone else I guess).  It was about C$15 per sheet in
>'94.

Dry transfer lettering is the way to do it, however, there is an easier way
(albiet more expensive) than buying the sheets of press-type and going one
letter at a time.

There is a process I've used for various graphic design projects called
"Chromatec" dry transfers.  Also referred to as "Image Negative Transfer"
or "INT."  I dunno where you're at, but I suspect that any major city will
have SOMEONE who can make these for you.  In Portland, Oregon use Schlegel
Typesetting, and in Seattle it was either Seattle Art or a shop called
"Dyna Transfer."

If you want to match the type EXACTLY, you ought to use a "real" design
program like Illustrator or FreeHand, or maybe CorelDraw.  These programs
have infinite controls of letterspacing, (kerning) and word spacing, etc.
The latest word processor from MicroSoft will work, but it doesn't offer
you the precise control that the others do.  Once you get the type set the
way you want it, this "file" needs to be output in negative film at about
2450 dpi.  Again, somewhere in your town is a service bureau that can do
this with a Linotronic imagesetter, probably the same place that does the
Chromatec transfers can also generate film for you.

The thing that's nice about these "decals" is that you put down the entire
word or group of words all at once.  No tedious letter-by-letter work where
you end up with uneven spacing, decals that are off-center, and type that
jumps up and down along the baseline.  Also, although I know we would all
want to have these done in white as original, you can have them done in any
PMS ink color.  (that's "Pantone Matching System", not the "other" PMS!!)
The application is exactly like press-type.

Cost will vary from shop to shop, but I would count on $30 or so, and
that's for an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of as many decals as you can fit within that
size.  If you make a mistake, you can remove the press-type with tape.
Make duplicates of each decal to allow for such mistakes.

Have Fun!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6