1974 Wiring Harness Installation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:00:20 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Fellow LisTRs --
My local mechanic said that I need a new main wiring harness in my '74 TR6.
I can't say that I disagree with him. I have TWO ignition keys plus an
ignition button! The DPO or DPPO used tape to keep the factory-installed
ignition key in the "on" position under the steering column, then installed
a second ignition key on the dash support bracket along with an ignition
button. This may have been his way of bypassing some yet unknown electrical
problem.
So, let's say my mechanic is correct. Well, he has to remove the dashboard
and all the crash pads. While he's at it, he may as well replace those. This
is OK since I want to replace all these parts anyway. The problem is, my
mechanic wants to order all the parts himself, install them, and charge me
full list price. Now, I know if I shop around I can get better parts prices
than what he's going to charge me. Plus, if I do it myself, I'll save $50-60
per hour in labor costs.
Now we come to my important question: How difficult is it to replace the
main wiring harness? Can a neophyte, such as I, do it? If I supply the
parts, can my local non-LBC auto garage do it? (This could save me $150-300
in parts alone.) Does anyone have any experience in this approach?
Remembering a thread a few weeks ago, he also said I need an engine rebuild
- to which I also agree for several reasons (oil pressure, noises, smoke,
etc.). But the expected cost is $3000 to $4000. At those prices it MAY be
cheaper to get a factory-fresh engine from Rimmer AND pay the shipping!
Any and all help is -as always - greatly appreciated.
Red Hansen
'74 TR6 CF13994