Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation

To: pryner@ij.net, moag@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:01:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 8:21:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pryner@ij.net
writes:

> I've heard of people taking a lot of time drawing how wires were connected
> replicate connections, but I'd trust the drawings and get things right
rather
> than duplicate someone else's shortcuts.  Take your time, double check the
> diagram and go for it!

Pete,

You make a good point.  Unfortunately, you can't rely on the diagrams either,
especially for the later models. The diagrams supplied are schematics, not
wiring diagrams, and as such, often don't look like what you will actually
find on the car. For example, the diagram may show two wires connected on one
terminal of a relay, when in actuality, only one wire connects, and the other
is spliced in somewhere in the harness. From a schematic standpoint, that is
the same, but it can be confusing if you're not experienced in electrical
stuff. If you're looking for two wires and you only find one, it can be
confusing. Even worse is where the diagram show one terminal connection and
one splice, when in reality, there are two wires on the terminal -- what do
you do with the extra wire.

I think you really need to do both -- mark the old connections and use the
diagrams. When something doesn't match, and you're not sure about it, just
ask the group.

I think that the diagrams for the TR3 are more like wiring diagrams than the
later models, and you would have less trouble of that sort than on the later
models. Also, I know of at least two cases on the later models where the
diagrams are simply wrong.

You're right, though -- if the wiring has been bodged, you will have a lot
more trouble replacing it if it isn't clear just what the bodge has been.
OTOH, I think if the wiring is pretty much original, other than damage, it's
best to mark everything as it comes off.

In Dave's case, where the wiring has already been removed, it becomes a moot
point -- he has no choice but to use the diagrams. In that case, I say go for
it, and ask the list if you run into something strange.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74