Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation

To: rhansen@att.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:44:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 12:01:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rhansen@att.com
writes:

> Now we come to my important question: How difficult is it to replace the
>  main wiring harness? Can a neophyte, such as I, do it?

Red,

Yes, you can do it!  The key is to mark EVERY connection as you remove the
old harness.  You can't completely rely on the wiring diagrams, as there are
often differences between them and reality. Also, make a diagram of the
connections at each device, noting the location and any markings of every
terminal. IOW, mark each terminal on your diagram with the number of wires
and the color of each wire attached to it, and mark each wire with the device
and terminal it came from. Make plenty of notes as to how the harness and the
wires were routed before you remove them.

Layout both your new harness and the old one on the floor and transfer the
markings to the new one, leaving the markings on the old one for possible
reference later.  You may find some differences in the old versus the new
that you can't account for, but we can help you there, if you've marked
everything properly.

When you do your marking and make your diagrams, don't leave out ANY wire or
terminal, no matter how certain you are that you won't forget -- you WILL!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74