Rear Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Seal
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 12:23 -0500
Hop-count: 1
One more question for you TR2 - TR4A guys. What's the deal with the rear seal?
I've seen threads on how they work and why they can leak. Some of you have
talked about how correctly "centering" the rear seal is critical for preventing
leaks, and that the repair manual covers this issue. Moss Motors even sells a
"centering" tool for this purpose. I've looked in the Haynes repair manual and
can't find anything concerning "centering".

I installed a brand new seal on my '58 TR3A when I rebuilt the engine, because
it had been leaking severely in the past. I installed it by pushing the seal
surface as close to the crankshaft as possible, then tightening the bolts. I
also installed new felt seals on the rear main bearing cap, and used silicon
sealer on the oil pan. It ran great and leak-free until I took the car on an
extended highway trip. I lost a quart of oil every 100 miles, and it appeared
to be leaking at the rear of the engine, as oil was coming from the top-rear
part of the oil pan ---- just like it did before the re-build. Now, even on
short hops through town, after the engine gets good and hot, it leaks badly.
And I'm not talking about little drips now and then, I'm talking about
"puddles" left at stop signs and parking spots!

I am currently rebuilding the engine on my '60 TR3A, and don't want to have the
same problem. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure my problem could be solved with a
conversion type seal like the one that Moss Motors sells, but I really don't
want to spend that much money if it isn't necessary. If it is, I will, but it
would seem that an original factory type seal should work correctly.

What did I do wrong? Have I overlooked something? What should I do?

Thanks,

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI