Re: TR2 Side Curtians

To: philpatt@kalamazoo.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR2 Side Curtians
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:28:54 EDT
Gently now, ever so gently I step into the foray.
  I am quoting personal experience in terms of construction details and
Piggot in the case of VINs.  Other opinions and exceptions are always
possible and respected.
<<
                   The slider window indicates TR3 or aftermarket.

Not necessarily, slider type sidecurtains were offered with the optional hard
top and as a factory option after TS4002.

            Are the wedge are fixed or "bolted" onto the rest of the window
frame?
            I  f they are fixed, then it's probably a TR3 side curtain... if
they're bolt
            on's it's aftermarket (as are my dad's TR3 SC's)...

The 'wedge'  is made of aluminum and appears on both fixed and slider early
style sidecurtains. It is a separate piece, attached with a screw to each of
the two steel stanchions forming the legs of the sidecurtain and holding the
sidecurtain in place.   The assembled wedge and stanchion fits into a steel
chromed receptacle which is screwed into the door.  There is a small knurled
screw on the door receptacle to hold the wedge in place.

           If the bottom "flap" has lift the dot fasteners, then it's
aftermarket,

On the early style sidecurtains  (pre TS8637) the lower part, or flap, is
formed around a separate frame made of flat and rod steel.  This small frame
is a seperate piece of metal shaped like the bottom of the sidecurtain below
the window, of the 'flap' part. It is attached to the main frame only by the
fabric which covers both of the steel frames.  It hangs down loosely when
fully assembled and had a zipper to allow access to the interior door
latches.  The lower flap will lift at speed so it is attached to door with 5
or 6 of the small 'baby' Tenax fasteners up to TS5255, (when the zipper was
also eliminated)  then Lift a Dots after, the baby tenax fasteners were same
type used to attach the top to the windshield on early TR2's.

 all TR SC's have a frame which "sits" just above the door's tonneau cover
 fastener posts.

This is true of the later type (post circa TS8637) wherein the small lower
steel frame is part of  the upper steel frame, making a rigid bottom,
eliminating the 'flap' .  On the later type there are no tenax  or lift a dot
fasteners along the bottom edge.  There is one strap though which attaches to
the inside of the door.

There are two types of attachments used to affix the sidecurtains to the
doors.  The early wedge type and the later 'dzus' fitting.  I am not sure
when this change was made, perhaps when the one piece frame was introduced.

Having said all that I have seen cars which are probably factory original
which violate these guidelines.  The early fixed window, zipper pocket,
sidecurtains were a nuisance, especially without exterior door handles.  On
my first TR2, bought in 1964, the tenax fasteners were missing so the hanging
flap would extend like a wing at speed.  Lots of fresh air, but a tad cold in
the winter.  The wing effect and a pitiful heater necessitated sleeping bags
permanently installed in each seat.  Yes, you can double declutch while
inside a sleeping bag, with some practice of course!

Bob Paul