Re: TR6 Engine Re-build

To: Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Re-build
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 02:39:50 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rengrave@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Listers,
> After hearing different opinions on and off the list about whether or not I
> should rebuild my engine or just replace the scored crankshaft, I have
> decided to rebuild the entire engine. Hey why not, the engine is the only
> part of the car I haven't touched yet.
> My question is:
> Do I dive in and rebuild the engine myself (with borrowed tools and engine
> stand from trusting friend), or do I drop off the engine at my local engine
> service shop and let them have all the fun?
> How much will I save if I do the work myself?
> I spoke with BPNW this week and figure I will be spending about $500 on
> reground crank and bearings, piston rings, cam shaft, lifters, rocker arm
> with rockers and gaskets.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay and any pointers for the
> rebuild, I plan on using the Haynes Manual as a guide.
>
> Wayne from Massachusetts
> 1973 TR6  Mallard/New Tan

Hey Wayne:

If the motor has to come out, it should definitely be rebuilt.

A guess is that an engine rebuild will cost you in the neighborhood of
$2,000, give or take $500.  I would use no one, however, who does
not rebuild LBC motors as a practice.  The price also depends on what you put
in the motor, of course; hardened seats and such will of course cost more.  I
would definitely do (or have done) one thing that is cheap and well worth the
money:  have the thrust washers pinned to the block.  These fellas-falling-out
are often the source of wrecked motors and/or very expense repairs to the
block face.

Also be warned that if you are lifting the motor/tranny from the car yourself,
some listers have encountered failure in the rearward lifting eye (i.e., it
breaks under load).  Make sure yours looks OK.  I forget what the alternative
lifting arrangement is; you can ask the list.  You'll also be ahead of the
game if your engine hoist tilts to accommodate removing/installing the motor
at an angle.

Having said this, rebuilding an engine is fun and rewarding, providing you do
it slowly, keep things clean and assume nothing.  IMHO, there are very few parts
I would reuse, and I'd want the motor line bored and balanced, head ported,
and I'd think about a new cam and carburetion.

But once you've got the engine back in the car, and put the key in the ignition
that
first time, having it come to life is a fine moment in time -- ain't it,
Englebert?

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6