TR6 trailing arm problem: help needed

To: 6 Pack Digest <6packlist@mfasco.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 trailing arm problem: help needed
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:48:55 -0400
Folks,

Well into a rebuild of the suspension of a 72 TR6 in preparation for some
SCCA autocrossing.  Everything went well with the tear down (I cannot
imagine doing this task without an air-driven impact wrench - thank
goodness for Tractor Supply Company and Harbor Freight [US based companies
that really offer good deals on the above].  The half shaft nuts came off
in 10 minutes a side ... and only one rounded a bit (lucky, eh?).

The problem:  the LH side always had a pronounced negative camber (about
3%), so thought I'd use the very informative shim table in the searchable
archive to sort this one out.  Stage 1: undo the 2 9/16" nuts holding the
U-shaped brackets to the frame (the ones that the swinging arm pivots in).
The bolts undo to the point where they spin with "normal" undoing
resistance, but do not come out.  I've tried the top and bottom bolts and
it is the same with both.  I am very nervous about trying to undo the other
bracket just in case I find that I now have 2 very poorly mounted arm
attachment points on the same side.  The strange things is that I can get
the bolts to re-tighten fairly well, although I haven't got up to the 90ft.
lbs needed yet (in case I add to my problems down the road once again).

Can anyone who has done a tear down on the rear arms fill me in on how the
threaded part is located in the box section.  Is it just threaded into the
wall of the box, or is it a captive nut system (that might have gone west
in my car)?  And if anyone has a solution to the dilemma I'm facing, boy
would I buy them a beer ...

Tony Gordon
1972 TR6