Re: Don't dip that in acid just yet...

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "rtriplett@bjservices.com" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
Subject: Re: Don't dip that in acid just yet...
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 8:35 -0800
Cc: "kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net" <kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net>
     A lister wrote:
I've been following this thread with much interest, since I am planning to start
a rebuild on what was once my parts car.  I was told however, regarding media
blasting, that rust would NOT be removed.... is this true?  I don't like the
idea of dipping my TR3 body in caustic chemicals, but thought that this was the
only way to completely remove rust.  IMHO, some "solid" metal has to be affected
by the dipping process, so media blasting sounds like a good idea, if it will
remove rust.  Using sand, I've been told, may warp steel, where plastic beading
won't.
FWIW, I have used media blasting on several cars, and have never had a problem
with rust remaining behind.  I saw some of the other list members who mentioned
that rust had not been removed, and frankly I was surprised by that.  Perhaps
the vendor that did the blasting wasn't as experienced as my vendor.

Ross Vincenti
64 C coupe