Re:Don't dip that in acid just yet...

To: Allen Patterson <kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Don't dip that in acid just yet...
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:16:35 -0400
Does media blasting remove oil and grease completely?  I have a frame that the
PO oiled to prevent rust.  Does metal in body panels and frames absorb anything
from being coated with oil that might bleed out later or is it just on the
surface?

There is a place here in Denver that will media blast the frame to gray metal
for $80 and one that will chemical (caustic soda bath, then water washed, then
dipped in a rust inhibitor/neutralizer) dip it for $170.  I've heard of bleed
problems from seams where the caustic soda doesn't get completely removed.  But
I also don't want a bleed problem from oil residue in the metal.

If oil on metal is just a surface effect then cheaper (media blasting) will win
the day.  Comments?