Engine break in

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine break in
From: Hugh R McAleer <vitesse@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:05:11 -0400
I know what the book says about run in procedures, but curious as to what
others may have done in the real world.

I rebuilt my first TR ( '65 TR4) in 1971 and my neighbor ( an engineer
motor head type who taught me a lot ) said the way to break it in was the
way he did his Griffith, namely, by counting shifts.  If I recall
correctly, it went something like go up to 1500 for the first 100 shifts,
then up to 2000 for the next 100 shifts, and so on.  I remember how proud
I was that I kept up with the number of shifts and believe it or not, I
stuck with the routine.  That car ran great until I sold it.

I did it with the 250 rebuild back in the early 80's.  The bottom end
stayed together but the valves sank into the head.

Any others care to share their stories?

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA