Re: Engine break in

To: Hugh R McAleer <vitesse@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Engine break in
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:13:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hugh,

Your method for breaking in a new motor only addresses one part of the
concern, it is intended to prevent over-revving. I agree with that, to a
point. I think the "shift points" you cite are pretty low for a rebuilt
TR engine. It can safely go up to at least 3000-3500 rpm, I'm sure. Your
shift points might be appropriate for a Harley or a V8.

What is over-looked in your procedure is that a new engine is probably
more likely to be damaged by "lugging" it in too high a gear for the
speed/load at any given time, which is a very real possibility shifting
as low in the rpms ad you are.

IMHO the best procedure is to run the motor smoothly, gently and
moderately for the first 1000 miles or so. No lugging and no redlining.

In fact, I've heard opinions that lugging an engine is probably the most
harmful thing you can do to it throughout it's entire life-span.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L (getting a rebuild soon!)

--
MZ